Friday, October 3, 2008

Priced vs. Priceless

Ryan Piquette
9-30-08
B Block

Priced vs. Priceless


All items that you own have a price and a specific value to you but the things we can't put a price on are what really mean the most to us inside like special moments or memories. No one really realizes what they have until later on in life. So why do we take everything for granted? What really makes something special to you?
It sounds like there is thunder surrounding me in every direction but really it is just the drone of the engine. The thought of being 30,000 feet in the air can sometimes frighten you but at the same time thrill you. Normally when this is happening it probably means that we are on our way to Florida. Excitement fills me and I cannot wait to land and finally arrive.
The airport looks familiar to me now after being here so many times before. The familiar people and the familiar atmosphere are all a routine for me now. I always remember the first step outside being the best and feeling the warm dense air hit your skin and at that moment nothing is more relaxing than that. The condo in Florida is not far from the airport and on the way there just looking at the palm trees, ocean and the great sunset make it seem like your in paradise.
The beach is white and the ocean is about 87 degrees about the same as the air temperature. You can sometimes go into the ocean and not come out for hours. We usually spend our days at the beach in the powerful sun making memories and having the greatest ties of our lives.
$300 can get you relaxation and happiness. That is the value of my iPod. Whenever I am having a bad day or something is bothering me I can just listen to my iPod and forget about all my worries. To me it is very relaxing listening to music and it helps me concentrate better. Whenever it is time for homework I listen to my iPod to focus me and inspire me. My mood can also change when listening to music, it depends what kind but I mostly listen to all kinds. With my iPod I can go on the Internet, watch videos, check weather, stocks and much more. It can always help me to get through a bad or boring time like if I'm riding in a car maybe going to Maine or going to the beach or a game or even waiting for something my iPod can entertain me and help the time to go by much faster. I can also use it with my friends or family and use it in the car. It is one of my favorite items in my house and possibly my favorite thing I have. It is also great entertainment and I use it just about every day.
So you could buy your relaxation by buying an iPod or get it by going on a trip to Florida. They are both very fun and will always put you in a good mood no matter what. So I guess you could say that you can get the same thing out of both of them, relaxation. Or they could both be entertaining to you. They also both allow me to drift away and to forget all my worries because of the extreme relaxation they both present.
Even though I just explained how they are very similar they are both very different at the same time. My iPod to me is an item and going to Florida to me is something I do and a memory or thought, so in general they are different things. Ipods can also preform specific tasks which going to Florida can't do. But Florida is also something much larger and more in-general than an iPod. Like I said iPods can relax you but you can't go to and iPod and relax but you can go to Florida and relax at a beach or pool or even in the sun. A moment to me though is worth way more than you could ever price and iPod.

5 comments:

Katelyn L said...

Ryan did a great job. In Ryan's value essay he is saying that everything you have is valuable and the moments you have are priceless you just may not realize it. There are two things Ryan values most. They are his trips to Florida and his ipod.

The object I thought was most vividly and clearly described was his trip to Florida. In some of the things he told he was very detailed. For example he said, "The beach is white and the ocean is about 87 degrees. You can sometimes go into the ocean and not come out for hours." He vividly describes the water by telling the temperature and I get the feeling when he says that they could spend a long time in the water that is very warm and peaceful.

In general, to me, one of the overall strengths of Ryan's essay was his introduction. AS I was reading it I was trying to figure out the questions he asked. It pulled me in because I wanted to read more to see if I could figure out what really made something special to me. It was a great introduction.

One piece of advice I could give to the author would be to consider re-reading your essay a couple of times because there were a few spelling mistakes. By re-reading it those would easily be taken care of. Other than that I enjoyed reading the essay. Ryan did a great job

andrew said...

i thought that Ryan did a good job in describing his items. he is trying to say that his i pod and trip to Florida are of equal value to him. His i pod is priced and trips to Florida are priceless.

His trip to Florida was described better than his i pod. He talked about it much more vividly. Also he talked about the plane being thrilling.

Ryans seciond paragraph really got me ijnvolved ion his styory. I thought it was very goodly described. His trip was visible in my mind. It waqs very clear how he valued it.

ONe piece of advice i could give him is to improve his ipod part. It was described well but not like the otherpart.

Ben said...

You did a great job ryan. This essay is so clear. In your essay you are talking about the two things that you value the most. You are talking about how your trips to Flordia are much more valuable than a little ipod.

The object in your essay that i found the most clear was how you described your ipod. You added so much detail and it felt like i was really listening to an ipod. Like how you said that it relives your stress, it was really clear.

The organization in your essay was just awesome. It was so clear. It made it better that you didn't stray away from the main idea. It was always on topic.

If I were you i would want to add a little more to how your trips to flordia are. it was so brief that i never really got into it. But other than that it was a very good essay.

eric said...

Ryan did a great job on his essay. Ilike how he talked about how things can be valuable by how much they cost or how much they mean to you. Ryan values his ipod and his time that he spends in Florida.

I think that Ryan described his vacations to Florida very well. An example is, the water is 87 degrees and you can stay in the water all day long because it is so warm and relaxing. I can relate to that because I go to New Jersey every year and the water is pretty warm there too. It was well described.

I believe that one of Ryan's strengths in his essay is organization. I thought that Ryan's story was well organized because I did not get lost at all and was able to understand everything that he said.

If I were you Ryan I would try to make my description of my values a little longer. I really enjoyed your description of your vacations in Florida and I wanted to hear more.

Mike's Blog said...

The author believes that everything is valuable, but that there are some things you can and can’t put a value on. In this essay the author says that the everything you own has a specific value, but there are some things that you can’t put a price on, like memories. The author values his ipod and his trips to Florida, but he most strongly values his trips to Florida.

The item in the essay that I found most vividly and clearly described was the author’s trips to Florida. He did a very good job describing it because he used very descriptive words and he showed why it was valuable to him. “
I always remember the first step outside being the best and feeling the warm dense air hit your skin and at that moment nothing is more relaxing than that. The condo in Florida is not far from the airport and on the way there just looking at the palm trees make it seem like your in paradise.
The beach is white and the ocean is about 87 degrees.”

One overall strength of this essay would be that the descriptions are very well done. The author makes it very clear and easy to read. One example of this would be “The condo in Florida is not far from the airport and on the way there just looking at the palm trees make it seem like your in paradise.
The beach is white and the ocean is about 87 degrees. You can sometimes go into the ocean and not come out for hours.”

One suggestion I have for revision would be to proofread better. There are a couple misspellings and run-on sentences. For example, the first sentence of the essay is a run-on sentence. An example of a misspelling is in the end of the description of the trip to Florida when the author typed ties when i think he meant times.